- November 26, 2018
- Posted by: David Thornton
- Category: Backup/Data Recovery, Business Advice, Cybersecurity, Holidays, Quick Tips
Before you log in on Cyber Monday to do your holiday shopping, check this out! We were pleasantly surprised to be featured as a part of Bay News 9’s segment on Cyber Monday this morning. Here is the link to the video:
Safe Shopping on Cyber Monday Recommendations:
- Avoid shopping or making any financial transactions while connected to public wifi. If you must, have and use a VPN.
- Expect to see amazing deals emailed to you with links to click on and get the hottest items. These are probably phishing emails. Clicking on the link could cause major problems. In general, if the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.
- Make sure to look for “https://” in the address bar of your browser.
- Have a good anti-virus and anti-malware solution. (This one was left out of the broadcast, but is too important to ignore.) No single solution that we have found yet does both well.
- Backup, backup, backup. Portable hard drives are not a safe protection against Ransomware. Use a good quality cloud backup.
- Attempts at hacking you don’t end on Cyber Monday. 92% of threats are delivered via emails around the clock every day. Be alert, and avoid clicking on suspicious links or opening attachments. If in doubt, throw it out.
A Better Choice Network Solutions works with businesses throughout the Tampa Bay area to help protect your data. We wish you a safe holiday season full of love.